The successful implementation of any business system creates unique challenges: the demand to support the day to day operational requirements whilst at the same time, devoting sufficient effort and resources to achieve a successful project outcome.
Given our 25 years of implementing many different solutions in a wide variety of businesses, we feel well qualified to recommend good project governance as essential to project success. For us, we believe there are some core benefits of adopting this approach:
- Assurance that the project is adequately prioritised and resourced, in order to provide early alerts where any resource (capacity or capability) issues exist
- A visible and transparent project, where progress is substantial and widely communicated so the sponsors are supported in championing the project
- Proactive engagement with all the relevant stakeholders and project team members to ensure all interested parties are consulted and informed
- Adherence to agreed ways of working including documentation, methodologies and philosophies
- Management of the solution vendor or implementation partner to ensure they meet defined deadlines for quality, budget and timescales.
In terms of how we deliver this, we consider there are two complementary elements – project management and change management – key project roles which together ensure the successful upgrade or implementation of a modern business system.